Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Plan

It may seem something of an audacious goal, to rush out and win a coveted Cannes Lion juslikedat.

For one, you need a brilliant, yet simple idea. For two, you need to know a little about the politics of such things. And for three, you need a name for yourself to merit that second look.

Right now, all I’ve got is the name of my ad – ‘Uno Violet’. Hmm.

So I have my work cut out for me. To get started, I’ve made the barest skeleton of a plan.

There are six ways I can go about this:

1. I can make an ad about something like glue, or quick dry paint, or a yoga store, and run into a MTR station late at night, stick it on the wall, photograph it and submit it as an ad that ran. Even though the ‘client’ has never seen it.

2. I can make an ad about something like a steakhouse, or a chip shop, or a tattoo parlor, find the client and sell it to them, so they run it on their own. This is what Kristian and I did in Australia with Jox and Sox. (I'll post it again here because I still get a kick out of it).

3. I can come up with a simple-to-execute ambient idea for a client currently at Ogilvy and run it through them.

4. I can come up with a great one-off for a client here at Ogilvy that they would be happy to run at least once.

5. I can come up with a brilliant ad that the client loves, the consumer loves, hell, everyone loves it, and have it run constantly.

6. Same thing as five, but as a campaign.



Of course #6 would be ideal, but at this juncture, I’ll keep all my options open.



No comments: