Sunday, June 24, 2007

English Copywriter in Hong Kong

I came to Hong Kong ten months ago looking for a job as a copywriter at a top 4As agency.

I landed a job at Ogilvy and Mather. It’s the biggest and highest rated agency in Hong Kong to my understanding, so all in all, it was a pretty successful mission.

I documented the whole thing. You can read about it here: Freelance English Copywriter

The whole plan was to land a permanent job. But it was only later that I realized that I didn't want a permanent job, I wanted a full-time contract.

Because I like to wander.

Either way, I ended up with a desk, a computer, an email, working papers, projects, paychecks and a contract to sign at Ogilvy.

Success!

Not permanent success...

Just the kind of success I was looking for.



Anyway!

...

This leaves me in a bit of a predicament. What do I do? Do I keep on pushing on with the same blog, or do I change gears?

Forget it, I figured. I’ll start a new blog, with a new twist.

After all, the world is a big place and I don’t plan to live forever (in Hong Kong that is).

….

So here you have it, blog #2.

Welcome to English Copywriter.

I've been thinking about what the mission would be this time...and I just came up with a determination today:

This shall be a documentation of a day in the life of a copywriter as he seeks out to win something, anything, at Cannes next year.

Seeing how they just had the advertising awards last week, it makes for a nice little one-year mission.

Of course, winning at Cannes is not easy at all. So keeping this blog will keep me focussed on my goal.

After all, it's worth a shot.

So let us begin with this year's winners:

double Grand Prix winner

English copywriter's favourite TV spots

English copywriter's favourite print ads

No comments: